Avery Dennison introduces ChemControl Portfolio for hard-to-hold applications; Expands Stickpak Portfolio to include traditional and easy-open options
MENTOR, OHIO — Committed to growing its flexible packaging leadership, Avery Dennison Label and Packaging Materials (LPM) has added two innovations to its flexible packaging offering. The recent Rapid Roll® Flexpak additions include the new ChemControl Portfolio and the expansion of the company’s successful Stickpak Portfolio. Both add the functionality and depth of offerings needed by today’s narrow web converters to harness the opportunities created by the industry’s projected growth. Globally, flexible packaging is predicted to reach $231 billion by 2018 according to a Smithers Pira study.
Avery Dennison’s new ChemControl Portfolio addresses a clear market need: protecting hard-to-hold contents, applications that have been challenging for narrow web converters.The portfolio is the product of a16-month innovation process to develop several high barrier products that can offer the premium chemical resistance needed for hard-to-hold packaging. It replaces the Barex® resin, widely used today for chemical resistant packaging. The new products were designed specifically for narrow web applications, ease of process and total applied cost.
Consisting of ChemControl Ultra and Ultra Plus structures, the new materials have undergone stringent lab testing to verify their ability to contain applications that use more volatile ingredients. These flexible packaging laminations:
- Offer Barex® equivalent solutions for high barrier and chemical resistance (seelist of chemicals tested)
- Resist permeation, absorption and attack by traditionally aggressive ingredients
- Provide outstanding gas barriers to oxygen, moisture, nitrogen and carbon dioxide
- Are superior for packaging a wide range of personal care and cosmetics, essential oils, industrial cleaners and single-use automotive additive applications in gel, liquid and powder forms
The new ChemControl Portfolio will be featured in the company’s Shelf Appeal Zone at Label Expo, Booth #119, in Chicago from September 13-15.
Avery Dennison’s expanded Stickpak Portfolio for single-serve packaging also offers the promise of significant growth. According to the Freedonia Group, stick packaging in the US is projected to grow at 5.6%, exceeding tube growth projected at 3.8% growth through 2018. The expanded portfolio gives narrow web converters good-better-best options for a wider range of applications.
- Traditional options include Stickpak LDPE 280 HB (“good”), Stickpak Metallocene 300HB (“better”), and Stickpak Surlyn 280 HB (“best”) polyester-faced laminated pouching material
- Easy-open, no-notch options feature Stickpak Surlyn 350HB, an easy to tear OPS film laminated to a Surlyn sealant and brand new Cello Stickpak Surlyn 300 HB, an easy tear, bio-based, sustainable cellulose face with enhanced printability
According to Cindy Collins, Avery Dennison Flexible Packaging Product Manager, the company’s new additions to its Rapid-Roll® Flexpak line will drive growth for narrow web converters. “Avery Dennison is committed to creating innovations that add efficiency, reduce environmental impact and provide new business opportunities,” Collins said. “By providing new products for high-barrier packaging — and offering both traditional notched and new no-notch, easy-open Stickpak choices — we’re opening the door for narrow web converters looking to expand into new markets and new products.”
About Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison (NYSE:AVY) is a global leader in labeling and packaging materials and solutions. The company’s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major market and industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 25,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers with insights and innovations that help make brands more inspiring and the world more intelligent. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company reported sales of $6 billion in 2015. Learn more at http://label.averydennison.com.